Saturday, September 20, 2014

Toasting Lindsey & Chris



To An Angel on her day

Henri Matisse dancers Ring Around the Rosie.
A lemon garnish makes a special tea.
At camp, a General on land is as capable at sea.
The world revolves around that little girl.
She means the world to me.

The world is a better place with her in it.                              
Her sweet, caring, creative spirit;
Among the first in a generation;
A rock, a role model, and an inspiration.

Once upon a time, a Hoboken swing made her smile;
“Push me more!” she says in a while.
Even then, she is committed, driven and oh so serious. 
And yet, like George, always very curious.

She is a big girl now and making her way.
Life is a journey. As we come to this day;
She wants to go higher. She wants to fly.
She finds joy in reaching for the sky.

She will try. She will win.
Along the way she will stop and begin again.
The ups and downs are so much fun;
Nevertheless, a marathon from the starting gun.   

Youth group advisor, conclave motivator;
Larger than life, adapter, innovator;
Wherever she is: pottery wheel, strawberry field, pumpkin patch
You will find chutzpah and determination unmatched.

Maple Leaf Diner, Raleigh Racquet Club, Montclair Swim;
It comes to this in the Orange Theory Fitness Gym.
The first clarinet carries the day, the band and the show.
Lindsey Morgan Dewey is someone to know.

In the best of all possible worlds
That is my angel. My little girl.
Here is to another Technique of the week;
And Miles to go before I sleep.

Here’s to you. To Life. With Love. Mazel Tov.

A toast to my daughter on her wedding day, September 13, 2014

Pep Talk for Chris
One Summer night the phone rings
“I want to marry your daughter,” is the news it brings.  
I pause, and I answer, “Who is this?”
I’m kidding, of course, I knew it was Chris.

Hey Son-in-Law,
Guess what I saw?    
Someone’s Dad. Sharing hopelessly;
There in front of all, so helplessly. 

Compelled to offer an Irish Blessing. Oy, the sighs
You can almost hear the rolling eyes.
I married her mom years ago. “The longest years of my life” She’ll say.
But for me, I would not trade away a single day. 

Always remember, the world revolves around your wife.
Do that, and you will live a wonderful life.
She is part of a Matriarchy. Women rule.
This is the stuff you never learn in school. 

This girl is on fire. Don’t make her mad.
She will be the best wife you ever had.
She lost a lot of weight to get into that dress.
You know, when I first met her when she weighed considerably less.

This baby girl was 7 pounds 7 ounces. Now we are wishing you all the best
Yes of course, Marry her! She’d expect nothing less.
Like a Hurricane, do it with swagger.
Be fearless. Be ambitious. You have our blessing. Does it matter?

It isn’t dollars and cents that will determine your worth.
Now is your chance to be among the richest on the face of the earth.
Live. Laugh. Love. Seek out culture and art.       
Let the fun begin. This is your start.

God Bless and be well.


Thank you for asking. Now give ‘em hell.

A toast to my future son-in-law on her my daughter's wedding day, September 13, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment