Saturday, September 16, 2017

Alone Amongst Them


To better see the sky
The people thronged into the street
I stood amongst them
Gazing at my feet
The light shone down upon them
And basking in its grace
Thousands danced to the singing of a million lips
I stood along amongst them
Gazing at my finger tips
So while led onto while
And I stood among them so
Their faces yearning toward the light
My head still hanging low
And then one day the light went out
The crush of people died
Raising my eyes to the heavens I wept
The ground firmly beneath my feet
For I along amongst them
Could stand upon the street


© 1977 by David P Drimer and published in Ibis Yearbook

Photo: In front of the Ashe Administration Building at the University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL --- left to right unknown student (background), Wes Morgan and Dave Drimer 

No comments:

Post a Comment