Saturday, February 3, 2018

COME AS YOU ARE


Timothy Wagner show at siba 
Timothy Wagner invited me to an opening show of some of his recent work at Stevens Institute of Business & Arts (siba). He says he always draws inspiration from travels and from his family, notably his wife and toddler son of whom I had the pleasure of meeting at this opening (February 2, 2018). He seems influenced by art history as well. Fine artists from Marcel Duchamp to Robert Rauschenberg would likely appreciate Wagner’s use of reclaimed materials like printed book pages, roadmaps and photo transfers in a mixed media style/technique that involves resin that manipulate oil or encaustic painting. Light refreshments at the gallery at 1521 Washington Avenue and a reception on a cold Friday night from 6pm – 8pm proved to be a pleasant environment to view the new work in the creative heart of the vibrant downtown Loft District. The work is showing until March. Stop by and take a look.

“I have been creating art professionally since 2000. My background is in painting though I’ve always incorporated other mediums into my work. My mentor Gary Passanise really opened my eyes to different techniques and artists using mixed media. Other professors like Rennie Bernard and Ahzad Bohosian taught me a lot about painting and drawing, although they, too, always lead in a direction of using more mediums in my work,” says Wagner in a blog post about the opening on siba web site. A long time artist-associate, Ty de La Venta was on hand at the opening to confirm that Tim has been at this for some time. Tim is considering further study at Fontbonne University. He is one to watch. 
Wagner sells his work on his website at http://tewagner.com/  ---  Photo(above) of artist Timothy Wagner and family (Melinda and Finley) at gallery opening 2-2-18. It was good to see Tim Wagner showing his work again at the 31st Annual Laumeier Art Fair on May 11, 12, 13, 2018 as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment