Saturday, June 4, 2022

Celebrating Evan

 











Evan Willnow died on May 12, 2022 after battling brain cancer for three years. During his battle he was able (with tender loving care from his wife Liz) to witness his daughter’s wedding in Hawaii (October 2021). Saturday June 4, 2022 was set asside as  the day his friends and family would have a celebration of Evan's life. I arrived early since I knew I would have some trouble finding Willoughby Farm in Collinsville, Illinois. As expected, I really didn’t know anyone there as they arrived for a 9:30 am start.

I met Evan in 1996 when TBWA/Chiat-Day hired me to be to be an account manager on the award-winning Boatmen’s Bank account. Evan was the first person (I mean real person) I met as I started my new job. We became friends. We went to lunch – usually a short walk from our offices at Union Station. Evan was a character with stories, imagination and humor. I learned quickly that Evan was the “go-to” guy when it came to preparing files for comprehensive layouts, new business presentations, and finishing art for publication. He always exceeded expectations. All roads in the agency creative process went through Evan. And yet, he never once complained about being overworked. He never showed signs of stress. He was steady and reliable. And he was never a prima donna.

Over lunch (25+ years ago) I learned about his father Ron Willnow and the career he had at the Saint Louis Post-Dispatch. His dad was a managing editor at the paper. Evan’s dad wrote for the paper too – but he needed to use a pseudonym (maybe his middle name and the street in University City where they lived): Adrian Cornell. I met him for the first time. “Hello, I’m Evan’s father Ron Willnow” he said. I smiled adding, “…and you are Adrian Cornell too right?”












Joe Leahy of HLK was present. Tim Rogers of Rogers-Townsend was present. Evan’s long time friends Pat Dorsey, Eric, Gordan, his brother Randy (who’s beard suggested the essence of Evan) and his older brother who’s remarks stressed the sentiment of the road not taken in Robert Frost. “I couldn’t wait to get out of Saint Louis and my brother Evan never left.” Clearly, Evan did leave a mark in his home town and touched the lives of those who had the good fortune to know him.

I knew what I wanted to say, given opportunity. It seemed that the mic and the commentary was more than under control. I was flattered and honored when Pat Dorsey pointed to me as he wanted me to add something to the open mic patter celebrating Evan. Here’s essentially what I had to say: “This event is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful person. Evan was great. That notion was validated in so many comments I’ve heard here today. But the most remarkable thing I noticed about Evan is - He made other people great. For me, that was the magic of Evan.”

I am honored to have had the opportunity to participate in today’s celebration of life. Evan – you will be missed. And yet, you will have a long and lasting impact on this world based on your inspiration and spirit. Thanks Evan. 










No comments:

Post a Comment