Monday, July 24, 2023

Tampa in Dewey Time

 









Tampa Trip July 20-23, 2023

So Greg dismissed me, in spite of the open credit I had to crash at chez Morgan on West Richardson Place in Hyde Park. His wife Ellen also sentenced him to hard labor cleaning  the grounds around the pool and outdoor spaces. Fortunately Lindsey and Chris managed to make room for me at their place and gave me responsibility of shuttle service for Lawton to First Tee Camp at Rocky Point Golf Course.

Still Greg redeems himself as Uber Dad for pick up and drop off airport runs. As a bonus I get an historic overview of the history of Ybor City at Seniors Luncheon at Temple Shaarai Zedak. (That's the temple on Swann don’t cha know?)  The luncheon sets up the personal tour of the new location of the Florida Museum of the Photographic Arts (FMoPA). Ya see Greg is an influential board member and happened to make the connection with Darryl Shaw as developmental plans are unfolding. Don’t worry, you can still find a hand rolled cigar and enjoy a Cuban Sandwich in the neighborhood.

Lindsey is all over an amazing array of duties as Director of Outreach and Engagement for the temple (not to mention a full plate as a mover and shaker for the Junior League of Tampa). “We love Lindsey!” is something I never get tired of hearing around her place of work. The Ybor City luncheon and Movie Night are two prime examples of the innovative programming Lindsey supports with grace and seemingly effortless orchestration of details (from food and beverage to audio/visual and tech support). She is gracious with young and old and a diverse mix of people who give this place a genuine sense of community).  












My day at Rocky Point Golf Course allows me several glimpses of Lawton’s participation in the First Tee program, while I get to play 18 holes with my new friends Mike from Tampa and his pal Chris in from Raleigh, North Carolina. I retrieved Lawton a little early from First Tee Camp leaving time for us to play two bonus holes.  












Jimbo’s for breakfast before golf (with Lindsey and Lawton). Duffy’s (with Greg, Matt, Bianca, Lindsey, Chris and Lawton), Himes Breakfast House (with Lawton and Chris) and another meal occasion with Greg, Lindsey, Chris and Lawton at Goody Goody Burgers before catching delayed Southwest flight back to Saint Louis.












The ordinary becomes extraordinary with this supporting cast in Tampa. “The truth belongs to the teller” I always say. I am delighted at Lindsey’s accounts of “Episodes of Idiot Dad” that seems could be produced with skill in TV and/or graphic novel format. Reliving the episodes reinforces the pattern of Morgan resilience and a wonderful ability to find humor in retrospect. It is clear that genuine affection and love propel the pattern forward. I am confident that one day Lawton will be telling family stories, with a smile, ages hence (a kind of payback or just a charming paying it forward).

P.S, I am most fortunate. My brother Greg (all kidding asside) is an essential part of why I get treated like royalty when I'm visiting Tampa. Lindsey,Chris and Lawton Dewey are most tollerant and accomodating when Papa (me) hits town. And seeing Greg's boy Matt and his fiance Bianca is a bonus. Between Greg and Lindsey and their respective networks, I cannot help but feel like a celebrity in this city.    


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment