Sunday, February 4, 2024

Yahrzeit (2 years)

 











Lynn has been gone for 2 years now. The memory of her is indeed a  blessing. It doesn’t mean I don’t miss her. (It is. I do.) So on the Yahrzeit (2nd anniversary of her passing), I cannot help but to be a bit reflective. I knew it might be a day of some melancholy. (That word was suggested by sweet Janie in a supportive text message when she recognized what I might be feeling).

Friday Evening I attended the youth service at Shaare Emeth. I visited the memory wall and noted the name of Lynn Stevens Morgan. I smiled as the third graders assembled for a recitation. I shed a tear as Lynn's name was mentioned along with other congregation members who have passed. Cantor Warner gave me a hug after the service and confided that he and I share a Yahrzeit. (Cantor Warner’s mother and my wife of 41+ years. We recognize their memories are our blessing; 4 years and 2 years respectively).











Saturday February 3 was somewhat intentionally filled with activity for me.

I made my way to the Pulitzer Arts Foundation to hear an inspirational talk and exhibition of architectural artifacts drawn from the rich collection of the National Building Arts Center (NBAC). Urban Archaeology brings together salvaged architectural elements from landmark buildings, residential homes, and neighborhood institutions built in St. Louis between 1840 and 1950.

I dropped in on Dave Shogren’s Old North U S International Foods office prior to a scheduled meeting of the Old North Restoration Group. I noted that his bulletin board proudly displayed a couple of thank you notes I wrote a few months ago when the Old North Restoration Group orchestrated house tours/art show/music event in September 2023.








I headed to the Fabulous Fox for a production of Funny Girl. Oddly, the story of a funny, quirky, ambitious Jewish girl who became a star in the Ziegfeld Follies reminds me of my Lynnie Max with hints of Yiddish and good humor through good and challenging times. The elaborate theatrical review of productions on the Broadway of New York City from 1907 to 1931 was represented on stage with wonderful orchestral music. It was a great way to escape and manage the melancholy of the day.

















No comments:

Post a Comment