Thursday, April 5, 2012

Just Curious




It has been said that curiosity kills the cat.  Curiosity is also the trait that propels the children’s books about the Curious George with a recurring theme that seems to get the monkey George in trouble over and over again. My daughter loved those stories as a child. And I loved reading them to her. It makes me smile to remember how she would laugh. I would read up to the word in a sentence. George was always very…  (pause). Lindsey would finish the sentence and giggle. “Curious!” “That’s right Lindsey, George was always very curious.”

Recently I conducted my first tour as a docent at the Laumeier Sculpture Park with a group of Kindergarden kids. As expected, those kids are curious too. The place is a jewel, Laumeier is a wonderful place to introduce contemporary sculpture to people of all ages. But kids are so special and honest as they discover new things. The park is full of examples of world-renowned monumental works, but I bet these kids will be more inspired by the simple joy of seeing something for the first time.

By the way, both of my own kids are adults now. I am happy to report that they both remain curious. And in doing so, see things, enjoy art and seek new experiences. Lindsey and Ben have always been very (well you know) curious … Me too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment