Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mnemonic Pairings

I often find myself meeting people playing golf, usually at my home nine-hole municipal course in Creve Coeur. Thinking in terms of a mnemonic devices to remember names on the golf course started as a practical thing. It turned into an interesting game of trivia. With the help of Google and Wikipedia here are some examples of pairings I can recall having encountered as partners on the links:

Martin & Lewis - (The golfers were Marty and Louis) but to remember them I thought of Martin and Lewis, the comedy team of singer Dean Martin, straight man and Jerry Lewis, comedic foil.
Tom & Jerry – Tom and Jerry animated cartoon created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, centering on a rivalry between a cat (Tom) and a mouse (Jerry) whose chases include slapstick comedy.

Ben & Jerry – Ben & Jerry's is an American ice cream company founded in 1978 and headquartered in Burlington, Vermont.

Tyler & Perry -  Tyler Perry is movie actor best known for both creating and performing (in drag) the Madea character, a large, in-charge, tough elderly black woman.
Tommy & John – Tommy John, the player and the surgery a procedure first performed in 1974 by Dr. Frank Jobe, and is named after major league pitcher Tommy John, whose 288 career victories among the top left-handed pitchers of all time.

John, Paul and George – My playing partners on a weekend round as luck would have it. “I guess I’m Ringo,” I offered, to which my playing partners recognized ourselves at the fab four Beatles.
John and Paul – If George can’t make it, the pairing is more Papal than pop. Pope John Paul II was the head of the Catholic Church 1978 to his death in 2005.

Mark and Dave – For these two IT guys, I haven’t concocted a mnemonic device to remember their names because to me, they are Mutt & Jeff  (a popular newspaper comic strip created by cartoonist Bud Fisher in 1907).
I usually only have to remember two names because I am either playing with a friend or alone when paired up with a two-some, but one day I might find myself on a busy day playing with the three musketeers, the three stooges or maybe Peter Paul and Mary.   

No comments:

Post a Comment